A change from Friday Geeky Plant Posts:
As some of you will know, our house is currently in a state of extreme disarray. To the outsider it would look like a troupe of chimps had been housed in it for a month. We are having construction work done that affects all four of our main rooms. All four will need fully redecorating.
My wife knows I can’t cope with disruption so we made sure that our (unaffected) spare room was converted into an office/drawing studio for me. This means I can hole up in here when I can’t stand looking at the rest of the house.
It has one, north-east facing, window which is great for me as it only gets direct sun early mornings in summer.
And priority has been given to music too!
This cupboard houses my art supplies and completed work and was made for us by a local carpenter:
My IG followers have seen many of these pictures already. I am currently working on a drawing of a white flowered cultivar of the Passion Flower, Passiflora caerulea.
Drawing white flowers on white paper is a challenge that often scares artists but I do enjoy it.
I always start with the main flowers in a compostion. The first two went on quite easily but placing the third was trickier.
Drawing the flower outlines on tracing paper then moving it around to get the best placement is my usual method. At this point I was experimenting with having the whole piece in ‘Portrait’ orientation but decided on ‘landscape’ after taking this picture.
Adding the third flower:
Then I started to add leaves and unopened flower buds. I find that Prismacolor Black Grape is good for the first layer beneath greens. Using grey beneath green I find flattens the green layers added afterwards. By using an underlayer of a complementary purplish colour it makes the greens more vibrant later. The greens will be a mix of three Faber-Castell Polychromos colours: Permanent Green Olive, Chromium Green Opaque and Earth Green Yellowish. I have also used Derwent Artists pencils on this piece – their Green Grey was the basis for shading the white parts of the flowers.
So, this is the stage I am currently at. I have numerous more leaves to add in Black grape before I add the layers of green on top. Due to redecorating duties I estimate this will take me another 6 weeks.